Briggs Equipment Announces Young Lives vs Cancer as Charity Partner for 2022
10 January, 2022 by Jess Lawrence
Briggs Equipment UK is thrilled to announce Young Lives vs Cancer as its 2022 Charity of the Year.
Young Lives vs Cancer is dedicated to helping children, young people and their families through cancer diagnosis, treatment and beyond. Over the past year, the charity provided 4,932 financial grants totalling more than £1 million directly to families and gave vital support to over 7000 families affected by cancer. Throughout 2022, Briggs people will be getting involved in a wide range of fundraising events in aid of Young Lives vs Cancer.
They work tirelessly to provide support that is easy to access and meets individual needs, centred around six core principles:
- When the doctor says cancer: From the moment of diagnosis, care teams are on hand to deliver day to day support for each child, young person and family, providing information and guidance during treatment.
- Cancer costs: The financial impact of cancer can be overwhelming at an already incredibly tough time. Research shows that parents spend on average £600 a month more when their child has cancer. To help to ease this financial strain, Young Lives vs Cancer arrange grants and help families access the additional benefits and support they are entitled to.
- There’s no place like home: Travelling for treatment is exhausting and expensive. Young Lives vs Cancer have ten Home from Homes across the UK which provide a free place for families to stay when their child is going through cancer treatment. They’re close to specialist hospitals, helping families avoid the extra financial burdens of travel, accommodation and food costs.
- We help them thrive, not just survive: Young people need support not just to survive cancer, but to finish treatment and get their lives back on track. Cancer shatters young patients’ education, social lives and future prospects; Young Lives vs Cancer’s team of professionals are on hand to provide emotional, social and educational support.
- When a child dies: Care teams provide bereavement support through home visits, local support groups and memory days to help children, young people and their families find a way to cope with the emotional pain.
- Making change happen: Young Lives vs Cancer raise awareness of children and young people’s experiences and champion their voices to politicians and decision makers across the UK. They listen to young cancer patients and their families, basing their research and campaigning on their feedback, to ensure the right changes happen.
Briggs are committed to supporting charitable causes and giving back to the community; over the past ten years Briggs people have raised more than £1 million for charity partners including Prostate Cancer UK, Rays of Sunshine, Alzheimer’s Research, Newlife, and the Teenage Cancer Trust.
Pete Jones, Briggs Equipment’s Group Manging Director, commented: “We are delighted that Young Lives vs Cancer are our Charity Partner for 2022. They carry out incredibly important work and I am excited to see how Briggs people can help to raise funding and awareness over the next 12 months.
“Charities have been seriously impacted throughout the pandemic, so we are thrilled to have the opportunity to raise vital funds to help children, young people and their families across the UK. The support and services provided by Young Lives vs Cancer is truly life changing, and we’re proud to be supporting such an excellent cause.”
Chief Executive Officer of Young Lives vs Cancer, Rachel Kirby-Rider said: “We are absolutely delighted to have been chosen as Briggs Equipment's next charity partner and welcome them all join Young Lives vs Cancer’s fight for young lives against cancer.
“Today 12 children and young people will hear the devastating news that they have cancer. We know cancer doesn’t just impact health. It sends shockwaves through a family’s world. Our frontline care support teams across the UK work tirelessly to limit the damage cancer causes beyond a child or young person’s health. Together with Briggs people, we can continue to be there for families during most difficult of times, when it matters most.”